Under 20s progress in Youth Cup

Preston Athletic U20 2 – 1 Civil Service Strollers U20 (aet, full time 1 – 1)
Little Big Shot SFA Youth Cup Round 2

Preston Athletic progressed into the third round of the Youth Cup but were made to fight all the way by a hard working Civil Service side.
With 6 players unavailable to manager George Thomson because of injury, suspension and work commitments this wasn’t ideal preparation for such an important match, however the home side took the initiative and went ahead on 12 minutes, David Porcher fired over a deep cross and Gavin Stevenson did well to stretch in the air to knock the ball past Michael Lee in the Civil Service goal. Preston continued to press and a well-worked move saw William Kerr play in Jamie Beaton but his shot went wide. On the half hour, the referee played a good advantage after a heavy challenge on Porcher as the ball fell to Stevenson who raced through and hit a strong shot but Lee was equal to it.
Preston skipper Scott Siegel was commanding at the back and was dealing well with the long balls.
Civil Service came out early for the second period and were quick out of the blocks as their first chance of the match fell to William Fife but a heavy touch gave Preston keeper Kieran Watters the chance to collect. The visitors continued to press forward without creating any clearcut chances. Preston played on the break and appealed for a penalty as Kerr beat his marker and appeared to be brought down in the box, but the referee indicated the defender got a touch to the ball. The away side then equalised with a brilliant strike from distance by substitute Calum Paterson with 10 minutes remaining, as his well struck shot flew into the net from 30 yards out.
Into extra time and Aaron Currie gave Preston the lead again with a superb curling effort that left Lee with absolutely no chance. Just before half time,  Currie nearly scored again but was denied by the post.
In the 2nd period Jamie Cochrane forced Lee into another good stop and Civil Service nearly drew level at the death with a corner that was headed just over by Scott Hutchinson. Preston sub Liam Gallacher was sent off late on for 2 very soft yellow cards, but the hosts held out and are now in the draw for the 3rd round for the first time ever.

Preston: Watters, Cameron, Porcher, Robertson, Siegel, Cochrane, Srevenson, Moffat, Kerr, Currie, Beaton. Subs: Purves, Gallacher, Baillie.

Civil: Lee, Campbell, Murphy, Conroy, Hutchinson, Ramsay, Beaton, Thomson, Stokes, Fife, Lovell. Subs: Paterson, Mannion, Jack