Match Report – Preston Athletic v Dalbeattie Star

Preston Athletic v Dalbeattie Star
Pennypit Park, Prestonpans
Tuesday 22 March 2016

It was definitely a game of two halves tonight at Pennypit Park as Preston Athletic welcomed visitors Dalbeattie Star.  For well over an hour it looked as if Preston might record their first home win under new manager Craig Nisbet.  However, a late collapse when 3 goals were conceded in an agonising 5 minutes in the last quarter of the game put paid to all the good work that had gone before.  Preston took the lead within the first 2 minutes as they pressed forward down the right hand side culminating in an impressive strike from Gary Nicholson which left Dalbeattie keeper Euan Drysdale with no chance.  Dalbeattie almost scored from the re-start driving through the midfield but the shot from Graeme Bell went high over the bar.  Preston continued to press forward with a strong run down the left from Kris McLoughlin who delivered a great cross into the box to Darryl Wilson who shot wide of the post.  Preston almost made it 2 just before the interval when, after some good link up play through the midfield, Gary Nicholson’s strike was tipped over the bar by Drysdale for a corner.  From the corner, David Scott’s touch and shot ended up just wide of the post.  Half time the home side were 1-0 up.  Dalbeattie must have had some half time team talk as they came storming out of the traps in the second half increasingly putting Preston on the back foot.  Dalbeattie no.10 Lewis Sloan appeared to be on a mission and was firing shots in at will at the Preston goal.  Preston made a couple of substitutions with Craig Innes and Jordan Bruce replacing Gary Nicholson and David Scott.  Dalbeattie then responded 10 minutes later by bringing on Tommy Muir to replace Graeme Bell.  On 66 minutes a period of constant pressure from Dalbeattie resulted in Sloan firing an unstoppable strike past Preston keeper Craig Pennycuick.  One minute later substitute Muir slotted in another with Sloan following up 4 minutes later with yet another.  On 89 minutes Preston’s David Porcher was involved in an incident that put paid to any hope of a recovery for the home side when he reacted to a challenge from Dalbeattie’s no 16 Paul Cook.  Referee Lorraine Clark produced a red card to end any hopes of a Preston fightback.  To rub salt into the wound Dalbeattie scored again pretty much straight from the re-start in the 90th minute with Sloan getting his hat trick for the night.  A game for the Panners to put behind them and re-group for the next one.  Full Time Preston 1-4 Dalbeattie.

Preston Athletic:  Pennycuick(GK), Cowan, Cochrane, Wilson, Todd(C), K Park, Nicholson(Bruce), Perry, Scott(Innes), McLoughlin(Dewar), Porcher.  Subs: Flockhart(GK), S Park, Davidson.

Dalbeattie Star:  Drysdale(GK), Wilson, Roan, Todd, Maxwell, Neill, McHarrie, Wells(Cook), Bell(Muir), Sloan, Thorburn.  Subs: Cathro(GK), Johnston, Fyfe, Proudlock.