Match Report – Scottish Youth Cup – Edinburgh City v Preston Athletic

Edinburgh City 3 – 1 Preston Athletic
SFA Youth Cup Round Two
10 man Edinburgh City progressed in the Youth Cup thanks to two late goals.
The first period was a fairly even affair with very few chances created by either side, defensively both sides were solid and a midfield battle developed, Preston created the first chance from a free kick, a driving run by Terry Ormiston was halted by Samuel Nhamburo, Marc Reid’s kick found Stewart Johnston whose header evaded the keeper but not the post and bounced out to safety. City took the lead five minutes later with a well worked move as the ball was fed out wide to Nhamburo whose cross ball from the left fell to Scott Hay to rifle home. For the remainder of the half neither keeper was greatly troubled as both sets of strikers had to feed of scraps and most forward balls into the area were just too long and easily gathered.
Preston started the second period on the front foot and David Porcher was unlucky when his lob over the keeper went just wide of the post. The away side eventually drew level on the hour mark as Porcher again had an effort well saved, the ball bobbled around the box and fell to Jay Cochrane to coolly drive home.
Again the game became a bit of a battle in midfield with no team really taking a firm hold of the match.
With about 10 minutes remaining the game which had been played in a good spirit on the big Meadowbank playing surface burst into controversy as a flash point developed from a fairly innocuous midfield challenge, with City’s Marcel Jeamn receiving a Red card for violent conduct in front of the stand side assistant referee.
The loss seemed to spur City on and they went ahead after a break up field found Hay, his right foot shot from the edge of the area seemed to lack power but Preston keeper Alexander McMahon mis-judged the flight and the ball somehow squirmed underneath him into the net.
With Preston desperately trying to equalise another City break saw Marc Reid commit a foul a few yards outside the area. Tommy Duncan fired in a good free kick that was just out of reach for the diving McMahon and sealed the home side passage into the next round.
Preston Athletic: McMahon, Douglas, Ormiston, McNaughton, Shanks, Reid, Cochrane, Johnston, Flanagan, Binnie, Porcher. Subs: Gordon, Gilchrist, Connachan, Melrose.