Match Report – William Hill Scottish Cup R2 – Preston Athletic v Montrose

William Hill Scottish Cup Round 2
Preston Athletic 0 – 3 Montrose
Montrose made a good start to the match as they came close on 2 minutes through Terry Masson who shot over from 8 yards out. They continued to press the home goal with countless chances but keeper Craig Pennycuick came to the rescue.
Discipline was to become a factor in the match with home players Gavin Stevenson and Daniel O’Rourke both seeing yellow in the opening 20 minutes. Craig Pennycuick was called into action on more occasions as Montose hit Preston with more chances with Gary Fraser, Graham Webster and Chris Templeman all coming close to opening the scoring.
But at the start of the second half, Preston were awarded a penalty which Ross Colquhoun stepped up to take but was well saved by Allan Flemimg in the goal, this was then immediately followed by a penalty awarded to Montrose on 49 minutes.
Gary Fraser stepped up and coolly put the ball in the net for a lead that the away side was not to lose.  They added to the scoresheet on 67 minutes when Chris Templeman hit a lovely 20 yard drive past Pennycuick to double the advantage.  Jonny Court made it three late on with a good right foot finish after the set up by Kieran McWalter.
But the match ended on a sour note for Preston as in injury time, substitute Jack Jardine was sent packing by referee Napier for a tackle on Court.  Daniel O’Rourke  also received a second yellow and was red carded for dissent just before the final whistle.  Gavin Stevenson also saw red after the whistle for dissent to add more pain to the lowland league side.
After the Match, Manager Craig Nisbet said he was disappointed with the result and said the first 50 minutes, his team were in the match and the discipline was unacceptable but hopes his team can bounce back in the next match.
Preston:- Pennycuick, Cowan, Cocharane(Jardine), Siegel, McLeod, Innes, Stevenson, Colquhoun(C), Neto, Ritchie(K.Park), O’Rourke. Subs:- Henderson, Lawson, Graham, Erskine, Baines(GK)
Montrose:- Fleming, Ballantyne, Campbell, Masson(Hynd), Macdonald, Bolochoweckyj(McKay), Ferguson(Court), McWalter, Fraser, Templeman, Webster. Subs:- Watson, Pascazio, Lennie, Millar(GK)
Referee:- Craig Napier.