Match Report – Preston Athletic v Leith Athletic

Preston Athletic 1 – 2 Leith Athletic
Football Nation EoS Qualifying Cup R2
Preston exited their 3rd cup competition in as many weeks as two late goals at the Pennypit sealed Leith’s path into the 3rd Round. The home side started brightly as Sean Lawson played a lovely ball behind the Leith defence who did well to clear the danger.  Preston were ahead on 11 minutes, great work from Fabio Neto and Neil Shave down the left wing saw a foul on the latter just outside the area, Ross Colquhoun’s driven free kick hit the wall and his follow up somehow squeezed through and fell nicely to Shave to coolly slot home.
Leith almost levelled on the half hour as Jack Combe forced a good save from Bruce Callan then Kerr Allan hit the post with a long range effort and Preston’s Neto also squandered a great chance only moments later.
Preston started well in the 2nd period with Sean Lawson reaching the byline and his cut back just missing the on-rushing Neto.
Leith started to control the game, Combe forced Callan into a fine close range save, but Preston continued to create chances as Colquhoun’s long range shot went just over and Stuart Ritchie’s header from a corner just wide. However it was perhaps no surprise when the visitors equalised on 75 minutes, the impressive Rhys Craigie setting up Scott Wilson who evaded 2 defenders and slotted home, soon after they were ahead as Gavin Kneeshaw curled a neat effort across Bruce Callan into the net. Leith’s James Hainey missed a great chance at the end heading wide from a corner. 
Preston have to now pick themselves up from their cup disappointments and now concentrate on moving up the Lowland League table.
Preston Athletic: Callan, Cowan, Cochrane(Graham), McLeod, Siegel, Colquhoun, Ritchie, Innes, Shave, Neto, Lawson(Erskine). Subs: Baines, Law.
Leith Athletic: Gordon, McKinlay, Fee, Lowson, Melvin, Wilkie, Combe(Ferguson), Allan(Beaton), Hainey, Wilson, Craigie(Kneeshaw). Subs: Burns, Hall, Tracey, Fairnie.